Drug Crime Attorney in Round Rock
Looking for a lawyer for drug charges?
If you have been charged with a drug crime or controlled substance offense, the sentence you could receive upon conviction depends on several factors. To begin with, there are different penalties for state and federal drug crimes, and it is important to note that federal drug offenses are subject to harsh minimum mandatory sentencing guidelines.
Drug Crime Penalties in Texas
The type of drugs involved in the offense is another factor, since each type of drug is assigned to a specific category or schedule under the Controlled Substance Act, and higher schedules are associated with tougher penalties. Finally, the quantity of drugs involved will play a major role in determining your sentence.
Using marijuana as an example, here are the range of penalties for drug crimes associated with the substance:
- Possession of 2 ounces or less is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine
- Possession of between 2 and 4 ounces is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a $4,000 fine
- Possession of up to 5 pounds is a felony with a sentence of up to 2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine
- Possession of up to 50 pounds is a felony of the third degree with a sentence of up to 10 years in prison
- Possession of up to 2,0000 pounds is a felony of the second degree with a sentence of up to 20 years in prison
In addition to fines and imprisonment, drug crime sentences frequently include a court order to receive drug addiction treatment. Furthermore, a conviction for a controlled substance offense can result in a mandatory driver's license suspension lasting 180 days, along with a requirement to attend a 15-hour drug education program. A conviction would also leave you with a criminal record, which can make it exceedingly difficult to find suitable employment.
Speak with a criminal defense lawyer now!
Don't let an arrest for a drug-related crime ruin your future! Contact us now at R. Scott Magee, Attorney at Law for a free, confidential consultation with the Round Rock criminal defense attorney from our team. We take pride in fighting to defend our clients against the harsh penalties they face, and we are ready to take immediate action in your case.
Contact us now for your free consultation and to get started on your defense!
5 / 5 stars